Everton unveiled their new 3rd strip made by Umbro. The new strip will be navy blue with royal blue and white details.
Fans can see the new kit in action for the first time this Saturday, when the Blues will aim to consider their good start to the season against Reading.The new kit comes in both short and long sleeved styles - and shorts, socks, women's shirts, mini kits and baby kits are also available from next week.The new third kit will be available to buy from Thursday 23rd August from the Everton Megastore, the Everton store in Birkenhead, or your local JJB Sports store.
During the first decades of their history , Everton had several different kit colours. The team originally played in blue and white stripes but as new players arriving at the club wore their old team's shirts during matches, confusion soon ensued. It was decided that the shirts would be dyed black, both to save on expenses and to instil a more professional look. The result, however, appeared morbid so a scarlet sash was added.
When the club moved to Goodison Park in 1892, they first played in salmon shirts with blue shorts before switching to ruby shirts with blue trim and dark blue shorts. The famous royal blue jerseys with white shorts were first used in the 1901–02 season. Occasionally Everton have played in lighter shades of blue (such as 1930-31 and 1997-99) but these have proved unpopular with fans. Everton's traditional away shirt was amber with either amber or royal blue shorts and various aditions appeared throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's. Recently however black, white, grey and yellow away shirts have been used.
The kit today remains royal blue shirts, white shorts and white socks although when playing teams away who also wear white shorts Everton typically wear all blue. For the 2007–08 season, the away kit is a white shirt with black shorts and socks.
At the end of the 1937–38 season, club secretary Theo Kelly, who later became The Toffees' first post-war manager, wanted to design a club necktie. It was agreed that the colour should be blue, but Kelly was given the task of designing a crest to be featured on the tie. Kelly thought about the matter for four months until deciding on a reproduction of the "Beacon" which stands in the heart of the Everton district. "The Beacon" or "Tower" has been inextricably linked with the Everton area since its construction in 1787. It was originally used as a bridewell to incarcerate criminals, and it still stands today on Everton Brow in Netherfield Road. The beacon was accompanied by two laurel wreaths on either side and, according to the College of Arms in London, Kelly chose to include the laurels as they were the sign of winners in classical times. The crest was accompanied by the club motto, "Nil Satis Nisi Optimum", which means "Nothing but the best is good enough". The ties were first worn by Kelly and the Everton chairman, Mr. E. Green, on the first day of the 1938–39 season.
The club rarely incorporated a badge of any description on its shirts. An interwoven "EFC" design was adopted between 1922 and 1930 before the club reverted to plain royal blue shirts, until 1973 when bold "EFC" lettering was added. The crest designed by Kelly was first used on the team's shirts in 1980 and has remained there ever since, undergoing gradual change to become the version used today. Some old crests are illustrated on the right; the top is the original shirt crest, the second is the first shirt crest with beacon and laurels and the third is the first shirt crest to use the club motto.