Palmeiras launched its new 08/09 Home football kit made by adidas. Palmeiras was founded by Luigi Cervo, Vicenzo Ragognetti, Luigi Emanuele Marzo and Ezequiel Simone, four Italian men who were members of the Italian-speaking community of São Paulo in 1914 and was initially named Società Sportiva Palestra Italia.
Its original colours were red, white and green (those of Italy). The name change occurred during World War II. Brazil entered the war supporting the allies and its dictatorship forced Palestra Italia to change its name because of the reference to Italy.
The original badge (a white ornamental "P" in a shield) is still present in the current one and the club has used red as a third colour (mostly in friendly games during the club's 75th anniversary). Palmeiras have played in blue shirts twice as a tribute to the Italian National Team.