Santa Cruz unveiled their new home and away kits for the 2008-2009 season. Santa Cruz was founded as a football society on February 3, 1914, by eleven boys aging from 14 to 16 years. Because the boys used to play football on the streets by the yard of the Santa Cruz Church, the club was named after that church, which is situated on Santa Cruz Street in Recife. The first official meeting of the members was at 2 Mangueira St. In this meeting they decided the position of each member, the name of the club "Santa Cruz Foot-Ball Club", and society's colours.
The original colours were black and white. Some time after, the colour pattern was changed because another local team (Sport Club Flamengo) already had those colours. Therefore the club included the red colour by suggestion of Teófilo Batista de Carvalho, also known as Lacraia. Lacraia has participated in all major early events of Santa Cruz's history, except the foundation.
The original crest was designed by Teófilo Batista de Carvalho aka Lacraia. The inclusion of red colour in the club patterns is also due to Lacraia. As time passed, the crest design was modified and updated. However the Lacraia 's original concept was not much modified. The current crest contains several stars. The top three-colored stars represent the three Super-championships that Santa Cruz won. The bottom golden stars represent the Penta-championship.
More brazilian shirts here.